Tuesday 30 July 2013

Tasting Spoons: The Farmer’s Market Series


Tasting Spoons are practically the height of jazziness in the world of canapés. Apparently, you can put just about anything in a large, ceramic spoon and call it a party!

I’m obviously not about to be left out of such fun, and as we know, I adored my trip to the Farmer’s Market the other day, so I thought it might be fun to do a tasting series on the things I purchased.

The first spoon was a simple heirloom tomato salad with feta, basil and balsamic. Definitely not the most dramatic or new flavour combination, but a fabulous go-to when you are looking for a simple salad. Chiffonade your basil to make it look fancy. 

You already know about the scapes, but for the spoon series I decided to sauté a few shrimp with the scapes and butter and serve that. It’s a fresh take on your standard (and delicious) shrimp with garlic butter.

The final spoon is the most exciting spoon for me, because those are home-grown nasturtiums, bitches. (I know that’s a little racy for this blog, but I’m bloody well proud.) “Oh, what’s a nasturtium?” you say. That, my friends, is an edible flower. You can grow them yourself, and then you can EAT THEM. Flowers! You can eat them! How fun! How pretty! Right? If anything was made to go in a spoon, it is an edible flower. The reason I am particularly proud is because most things I attempt to grow die within five days of being in my care. It’s heartbreaking. I can’t even grow mould in my fridge (Ha! Just kidding. That totally happens if I’m not careful). Anyway. Here’s the thing about the nasturtiums. I planted seeds, and the next thing you know, I’ve got actual plants in a pot growing. I love it. You can eat the leaves of this plant too. They taste a bit like green pepper. The flowers are more peppery- almost spicy. I mixed them here with some microgreens from my local growers and gave them just the tiniest splash of some really nice olive oil. Little salt and pepper, and you’re good to go.

Try this tasting series from your own trip to the Farmer’s Market. Be creative and send us your pictures! 




No comments:

Post a Comment