Sunday 28 July 2013

Grilled Swordfish

Alright, I don't mean to be a blogaholic and write up every single thing I eat. But I have to get it down on paper while it's still fresh in my mind, or I'll forget it. And how can I help it if two amazing meals piggyback themselves in one weekend? And how in the name of God was I supposed to know that when I went out this morning to buy Negroni ingredients (because I have such a huge crush on Anthony Bourdain), I was going to actually fall in love with a piece of swordfish? Life happens that way. So if it's too much, read this blog on another day when you're feeling lonely for a LadyGirl recipe!

I have to give total credit for the inspiration for this recipe to Giada De Laurentiis. One of the original goddesses of the Food Kingdom. I've been way too heavy on the soy based marinades lately, so I Googled around for some inspiration. Her grilled swordfish was the only one I found that didn't call for soy sauce. I can't really give her credit for my amazing herb garden, nor the amazing infused olive oils and balsamic vinegars I foraged out on my own adventures. But I can't blame her for not having my fabulous life! Her recipe called for mint and basil. Check. I pretty much took it from there.

So you'll need an awe inspiring piece of swordfish. It's a rare find in my neck of the woods as you can tell from my excitement.


For the marinade:
6 or 7 fresh basil leaves
5 or 6 fresh mint leaves
about 1/2 cup of olive oil (I used my Tuscan herb infused oil, which sadly, is nearly gone)
a splash of balsamic vinegar (of course I used my cinnamon pear infused which I value more than my most important piece of jewelry)
zest and juice of a lemon
4 cloves of finely chopped garlic
freshly ground pepper and course sea salt

Marinate your fish for about half an hour and grill it on high heat for about 4 minutes per side. Take it off the heat and cover with foil to let it rest for about 10 minutes. And here's a tip for you grilling newbies - start your meat or fish at 12:00 o'clock on the dial and after 2 minutes, rotate it to 3:00 o'clock so you get those amazing grill marks like you see on the food channel. Hahah just threw that in because it's fun to have your grilled food looking gorgeous!

For my side with this meal, I made an arugula salad. I just tossed it with some of my treasured cinnamon pear balsamic vinegar and my Hojiblanca olive oil that is so damn virgin you feel like you have to get down on one knee and ask God's permission to use it! And course sea salt. Voila! Anybody can impress with this one. Enjoy my friends. I promise no more blogs for a week at least. Unless I come up with something amazing like this!

No comments:

Post a Comment