Saturday 27 July 2013

Grilled Shell On Shrimp

I can't begin to tell you how much I'm enjoying my reducing diet! So far, I've lost 25 pounds in just 8 weeks, and there is no better feeling in the world than going around with a baggy ass because your clothes are two sizes too big. And to tell you the truth, it no longer feels like a diet. It feels more like a lifestyle now. I am naturally drawn to healthier food choices because when you feel like a million bucks everyday, you don't even want to cheat.

Plus I'm still thoroughly enjoying my new infused vinegars and olive oils, so experimenting with them is more like play than sloggy old cooking. It rained today, so that means grab something out of the freezer for dinner so as not to drag in groceries and get soaked to the skin. So shell on shrimp was the thing that jumped out at me first from the deep freeze. You'll grill these with the shell on. High heat for only about 3 minutes per side. I made a veggie stir fry for my side because that's how I roll these days. But you could serve them with a rice pilaf or pasta and grilled vegetables. I loved these so much that I'm going to serve them as an appetizer at our annual family get together next week.


For the marinade you'll need:
1 large shallot
a chunk of peeled ginger (about an inch long and an inch around)
4 large cloves of peeled garlic
1/2 cup of soy sauce
zest of 1 lime and the juice of 2 limes
a squeeze of honey (about a tablespoon and a half)
1/2 teaspoon of cayenne
1/3 cup of olive oil or peanut oil
freshly ground pepper
fresh cilantro (about 5 stems but with the stems removed)
Put all of this into a blender or processor (I used my Magic Bullet) and puree it all up until smooth like a paste.
3 or 4 green onions chopped
Thaw your bag of shrimp and rinse them well. Put them in a bowl and add the green onion and the puree. Stir it all around and let it marinade for about half an hour.

Preheat your grill to high heat and grill the shrimp for about 3 minutes per side. Or flip them when the shell turns pink. Discard the remaining marinade.

These are messy and really fun to eat. The flavour in the marinade marries perfectly to shrimp, so make lots. They'll go fast! Enjoy friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment