Saturday 1 June 2013

Asian Inspired Snapper

I'm so happy that summer is finally here and the gardens are herbs are all planted! Everything has taken root, and now it's time to just enjoy watching it all grow. And to eat it as it ripens and enjoy all the delicious freshness your own garden can provide. But even more wonderful than eating your own harvest, is to receive a gift of produce from somebody else's garden! That is truly sharing at it's finest. And my lovely co-worker Frenk bestowed a gift of green onions from his garden to me this week. So I tried to think of a recipe that would do such a fine gift justice.

But because I'm seeing all of our yard in beautiful bloom and so much abundance of fruit on our various fruit trees, I decided I looked quite in despair in comparison! So it's time for me to shape up and lose a few pounds after such a long and lazy winter. Rich meals and stews and gravy have their place in a Canadian winter for the comfort they provide, but boy, you sure pay the piper for it when you try to stuff yourself into your shorts on the first warm day of summer! It was like stuffing twenty pounds of potatoes into a ten pound bag!

Now being of middle age, and clearly a lover of all things rich and buttery, I'm no stranger to dieting. And if I've learned anything over the years, the key to success is to stay positive and not to focus on the things you can't have, but rather the abundance of delicious and healthy food that you can have. So with Frenk's spring green onions in mind, and keeping my weight loss goals in mind, here is a delicious and easy red snapper fillet recipe that you can cook on the barbeque, so no mess either!


You'll need:
3 fresh snapper fillets (or any other kind of fish that you like)
For the sauce:
2 tablespoons of reduced sodium soy sauce
3 tablespoons of dry sherry
1 teaspoon of sesame oil
1 tablespoon of minced fresh ginger
2 cloves of minced garlic
zest and juice of a lime
3 thinly sliced green onions - use the whole thing
 a tiny squeeze of honey
freshly ground pepper
And whisk it all together.


Lay the fish on a large sheet of heavy tin foil that's been sprayed with non stick spray and pour the sauce over the fish. Fold up your tin foil to seal everything inside, but leaving a space enough for it to steam. Like a tent. If you don't have heavy duty foil, use 2 sheets. Now I have a cookie sheet that I use just for the barbeque so it doesn't matter if it gets wrecked. I suggest you use one too. Lay the tin foil pouch on the cookie sheet and put the whole thing on a pre-heated barbeque at medium to low heat. Let it cook with the lid down for about half an hour.
I also made grilled vegetables with this. And they can go directly on the grill beside the cookie sheet. Grill anything you like. Just brush it with some olive oil, a splash of balsamic vinegar, freshly ground pepper and whatever dried herbs you like. Zucchini with oregano is a good one. Or new potatoes, onions, corn on the cob, portobello mushrooms. The list is endless. Easy, delicious and with no guilt whatsoever. Soon I'll be as shapely as our peach trees!


No comments:

Post a Comment