Saturday 13 September 2014

Blue Cheese Dip with Firecracker Shrimp

Notice how I didn't give the shrimp top billing on this recipe? The shrimp are awesome, but you could actually jar and sell, and in fact, get rich off this blue cheese dip. Consider it to be your next flavour vessel for anything on the planet that can be dipped. I was searching for shrimp recipes because I found a good sale on them, and loaded up. And I found a Firecracker Shrimp recipe that caught my eye.(from Andrew Zimmern) And just as a side note, they suggested a blue cheese dip. The shrimp were blah, so I've modified the recipe. But the blue cheese dip was heaven! So let's plan up the best snack there ever was.

You'll need for the dip:
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon of finely chopped dill
3 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
$4.00 worth of good quality blue cheese, So a small chunk of it. I don't know how to measure cheese!

And for the shrimp:
1 egg beaten
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 finely chopped jalapeno pepper
1/4 teaspoon of cayenne powder
1 bag of frozen shrimp, shelled, deveined and thawed
1 cup of cornstarch (or more. I needed more.)
Vegetable oil for frying
Salt and pepper to season
1/4 cup of hot sauce (I used Frank's)
1/4 cup of melted butter
Celery to serve as a side. Or Carrots. Or whatever you like. Or an assortment of veggies.

To make the dip, put everything into the food processor and blend it up. The End.

For the shrimp, beat the egg, and whisk in the buttermilk, jalapeno and cayenne and add the shrimp and cover and refrigerate for an hour at least.

Heat 2 inches of oil to 375 degrees. Or since I don't own a thermometer, I heated the oil on med-hi heat until a bit of the corn starch thrown in the pot showed a boiling action.

Melt the butter and mix in the hot sauce in a separate saucepan .

Take the shrimp with your tongs and dredge in the corn starch and fry in the oil for a couple of minutes. It goes really fast. Remove from the oil and set to paper towels to drain. Salt it and when they're all fried, add to the hot sauce and flip it around for a few seconds and serve. Seems like no trouble to make at all. And it wasn't! Easy and Delish. Like I like! Enjoy friends.






No comments:

Post a Comment