Sunday 24 June 2012

Stuffed Sole

When my daughters suggested we start a blog and share our recipes, I had no idea how much fun it was going to be. And it has given me another advantage that I didn't see coming at all. I now have a license to watch Foodnetwork and other network stations that air food cooking episodes endlessly during my spare time. Pre-blog days, this appeared to be a person wasting time and procrastinating switching laundry loads. But today was truly a special day because there was a marathon of Lidia's Italy. One episode after another for the whole day! (Lidia has by far, the worst hair on network television, but she isn't about beauty, so I overlook) I was on my fourth episode today when the conversation went like this:
Mario: "Honey, can you help me shovel out the gravel (1/2 a ton) from the back of the truck?"
Me: "As much as I'd love to help you with that sweetie, I'm doing research for my blog."
Hahahah! Yay for blogging! And people need to understand that its work just like anything else!
So the episode that got me out of shovelling gravel caught my eye and I thought it best that I do that exact recipe for dinner tonight so certain people can see that the research is real and true. Even though I was lying on the couch eating cheese popcorn at the time.
You'll need:
However many fillets of sole you need. I plan on two per person.
For the stuffing:
1 cup breadcrumbs
chopped parsley
2 cloves minced garlic
zest of 1 lemon
salt & pepper
1/2 cup grated Parmesan or parmesan/reggiano
olive oil
a dash of dried chili flakes
2 sprigs of fresh thyme
Prepare your casserole dish:
Butter it and layer the bottom of the pan with sliced lemon, 1 cup white wine, juice of 1 lemon, a splash of olive oil and a handful of capers.
Heat the oven to 450 degrees.
Spread 2 tablespoons of the stuffing mixture on each sole fillet and role them up and secure with a toothpick. Top each one with a dollop and butter and more of the stuffing mixture and a splash of olive oil. Cover the pan with foil and bake for about 12 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for 4 or 5 minutes more. Sprinkle with lemon juice, the remaining juice from the pan and freshly chopped parsley just before serving.
You could serve this with rice and salad for a nice, light meal. I'll publish another variation on stuffed sole soon that is quite a bit more rich (fattening) that involves cream and shrimp and is really delicious too. But start with this one so you'll know that all delicious food doesn't have to involve butter and cream. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment